Saturday, April 28, 2012

Finals week and dance competition...

So...I had to get up at 6:20 this morning for a dance competition :p And I hate makeup. What I hate even more than makeup is stage makeup. I look like...a character from Night of the Living Dead. No joke :p Anywho it's a little after 10:30 and I had a full day. Dancing was fun ;D My parents watched the routines for the first time, and my mom said I was the most polished ;D And the most important(well, one of the most important to me), is that my kicks were straight up sky high ;D I've come to realize in the past few years that putting myself fully into a dance mood and the routine really pays off. I shouldn't be afraid of slipping or tripping, and I'm not. I've really grown as a dancer the past few years. But what's frustrating to me is some of the girls(and unfortunately the ones I had to dance with), only put so much into it. I don't think they care as much. Like they don't make an effort to come to practices unless pretty much forced. I think they try but it doesn't seem like it. So I feel like my talent that I've worked so hard to earn is being wasted and that's depressing for me. But I'm hoping I'll be able to fulfill my potential by joining the Baronettes ;) A lot of the routines were amazing, but watching 6-12 year olds and even teenagers thrusting, shaking, and gyrating is horrible to watch. Once again, no joke. Several times I thought I was at a strip club or watching pole dancers. Little girls as in 6 and 7 year olds were shaking while pumping and...it was darn right scary. Another dance with 15-16 year olds involved folding chairs and fishnet stockings with 3 inch heels and body shots of things that should be kept either down or out of sight. Yup. The thing I think that bothered me the most was that there men in the audience watching these girls. I don't have a problem with that besides the fact that they were...well...watching that. Just because these girls are young doesn't mean they don't have bodies. And they're being trained to get attention the wrong way. With the older girls do they care they're mistreating their bodies and provoking wrong things? My dance teacher said to us one time, "Imagine if Jesus was in the audience. Would He be ashamed about what you're doing and how you're using your body?" To me, doing crotch shots and rubbing your hands down your body suggestively along with rolling and shaking your behind to the audience and moving the top along with the bottom is something I think Jesus would enjoy watching. And yet He did today. It just makes me mad and sad at the same time. I really needed to get all that off my chest :p It also makes me mad that if I ever was able to join a studio where the girls were serious I'd most like end up in a dance like that. Not to brag or anything, but I actually am as good as all those pole dancers today( :p), because I've used the studio to dance by myself before and it's like a replica of their moves just appropriate. But I would never wear fishnets or gyrate. It's wrong. I want to be able to do my tour jetes, center leaps, and that cool jump where your arms are above your head and your back is arched while your leg is bent backwards and almost touching your head while the other is pointed in front for the glory of God, not to shame Him. And I'm hoping and praying that's what the Baronettes do. Until then, I continue to do fishnet worthy jumps and leaps at my own studio and wow everyone in the process ;)

Finals are on Wednesday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE pray for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) And your quote:

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness." ~John Keats

1 comment:

  1. I know what it's like to be serious about dancing and feel almost weighed down by others. Although this was the first year I put my heart and soul in it, there have been other years where my puny little effort was something like a monument and no one else was even trying. Very discouraging. I feel like flying and they don't want to get off the ground. For a while there, it was very easy to only sort of put the effort in it because no one else even cared.

    And it really distresses me when I see little kids dancing like that. What are they going to grow up to? Really sad.

    ReplyDelete